Friday, September 20, 2013

Frosh Get-Away



All of us getting ready to board the bus
      This past weekend was Frosh Get-Away. It is essentially a nondenominational retreat for freshman. It is an amazing opportunity to get closer to God, start fostering deeper relationships with friends, and make new friends. I walked in with no real expectations because the last retreat I went on was in 8th grade. I know there is a terrible stereotype attached with college students that says they do not keep in touch with their faith life, and after being at Rockhurst for a month I can see how that is a possibility if you don't surround yourself with the right people. Through going to Frosh Get-Away I was able to find three types of people that are essential for a healthy faith life. First, I was able to judge the people who were a bit deeper than me in their relationship with God so that I could look up to them and mirror them. If you don't have anyone who is ahead of you, how do you learn? Second, I was able to connect with people who were in the same or similar situations as me. That was awesome because now I have people to relate to and share my faith struggles with. Third, a girl in my small group reached out and said that my faith had inspired her to grow in hers.  I was really touched when she said that, and I believe it is important to have people that look up to you because then you have to hold yourself responsible to them.
My group after we finished an obstacle course
      The weekend was emotionally draining. I admit that there were more than a few tears, but I could not be happier with my experience. Many of my friend relationships changed for the better. They went from being based on shallow conversations like "where are you from?" and "what is your major?" to understanding each other and our real needs. Simply talking with someone is so different than praying with and for them. I can honestly say, without hesitation, that Frosh Get-Away was the best $60 I have ever spent. I wish everyone could have gone and had the same experience as me.


Our weekends candle
Each bow represents a Freshman on the retreat


No comments:

Post a Comment