Monday, October 28, 2013

Fabulous Fall Break


The ride home

This past week/ weekend was our fall break. It began Wednesday the 23rd but most people left Tuesday after classes. The couple weeks leading up to break were mid-term exams, which were not as terrible as I expected. The only class where I had an official mid-term was French. The rest were just regular tests. I was pretty lucky in this respect. A lot of my friends had multiple exams in one day which stressed them out, so I think it is safe to say that everyone was ready to go home and catch their breath. I caught a ride home from one of my friends and we left around 12:30pm on Tuesday. The ride home was a blast because we sang pretty much the whole way.
Pi, my kitty [:
When we got to my house my beagle, Zoey, was ecstatic and could not stop barking and wagging her tail. It was good to see that because in college you obviously don’t have and fuzzy friends to greet you after a hard Bio exam. My dad was not quite home at the time so I got to spend some quality time with my step-mom just talking. Now, I’m not going to give a play-by-play of my entire break, but it mainly consisted of seeing family and my boyfriend, Graham. I didn’t have a whole lot of time to rest because I was always rushing to see the next group of people, but seeing family is refreshing enough in its own way.
Miss Zoey!
The second night I was back, I did get to see a group of my friends from high school. We went to Denny’s and just sat around exchanging college stories. Since I’ve been at Rockhurst, my biggest focus has been God and attempting to improve my relationship with him. This lifestyle has resulted in minimal drama. I have been called to do some things that are not exactly easy, but that type of stress is pretty unique. I saw something completely different in the stories of my friends. They all mentioned drinking, one-night-stands, and missing class. Of course these things produce stress and drama due to their nature, but it was completely different from what I was experiencing. Through our conversations I received a pretty hard slap in the face when I realized that I did not completely fit in with them anymore. Our priorities were different and I did not have the same struggles as them. I did not even know what to say to comfort them when that used to be a forte of mine. My realization was a bit upsetting, but I think it is ok. Everyone changes in college and I believe Rockhurst in helping me change for the better, even though it is not always easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment