Saturday, November 2, 2013

Fall Fun and Becoming A Runner




It is beginning to cool down here in KC. All the leaves, on and off campus, have started to change. It is also common to see more boots and scarves around this time of year as everyone prepares for snuggling weather which is just around the corner. Fall also means a lot of fun activities for students. For example, Rockhurst hosts a “safe trick-or-treat” opportunity for kids in nearby neighborhoods that would not be safe going door to door around their own home. We tend to get a pretty big crowd every year. I helped with the preparation by decorating a room in the haunted house. Some of my friends put on their best scary attire and worked the house on Halloween. I heard it was a success once again.
Loose Park in the fall
                Now that Halloween is over, there aren’t as many ghouls and goblins to be found roaming campus at night. Instead they have been replaced by a pretty large running population. There is a group of my friends that run pretty frequently. I admire their ability and dedication because they have come back after quite a few runs reporting that they completed five mile routes. Many of them ran cross-country in high school so this is nothing to them; however, it is out of the question for me. One day, they said they wouldn’t be going as far, so I decided to join them because I would like to get into the habit of running more regularly. We ran to a nearby park and stopped to look at the beautiful colors all around us. While we sat there, I suggested that we all run back to school, grab some food, and drive back to the park for a nice picnic. The idea was deemed a good one so we all started back. I know this may sound like the run was pretty leisurely, and although I kept up with the pace and made it through for the most part, I did find myself walking and having trouble catching my breath a few times. In the end, we ran 2.97 miles which is more than I have ever run at one time. It was a big accomplishment for me and it never would have happened without my friends from the Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment