Saturday, February 15, 2014

Retreat on the Rock



Retreat on the Rock is a spiritual retreat that Rockhurst has once a year in the spring.  I have been told repeatedly that it is very similar to Kairos and TEC although I never had the opportunity to experience either of those retreats. Due to my lack of experience with this type of retreat, I did not know what to expect out of the weekend. I came in with an open mind and absolutely no idea what would happen. When we arrived at the retreat center, we started with a few ice breakers and were told to set goals for the retreat. On the Thursday before the retreat that I would be an RA in McGee (an all-girls residence hall) next year with one of my best friends, Sydney, and a couple other girls I did not know…yet, so my goal was to get to know them. Once our goals were set, we were given our small groups. The groups ranged from 4-6 people and we met with them every few hours throughout the retreat to reflect. Mine could not have been a better group of people if I planned it myself. I was friends with two of the girls already but we were not super close. I had wanted to reach out to both of them, but had never known when or how to do it. The other two girls were my future coworkers in McGee. You can imagine my excitement when the names were called out.
Throughout the weekend our group met nine times. I grew to love each and every girl. They all showed such strength as they opened up and shared their troubles with us. They are all so beautiful and they inspired me to be better. I will always treasure all the memories from the weekend in my heart. I encourage everyone to go on Retreat on the Rock if they get the chance because it is unlike anything else you will ever experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment