Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Ride-to-the-Rock weekend



This past weekend was Ride-to-the-Rock, so I had a high school student from Saint Louis stay with me and my roommate for a night. I was a little nervous because when you are paired with someone completely randomly you never know what they will be like, if your personalities will mesh, or if you will like them at all. I was pleasantly surprised with mine. She was sweet, intelligent, and interesting. She was also a pretty similar personality to mine, so we got along great.
When the “Rock Babies”, (high school students) as we like to call them, arrived we only got a few minutes to talk to them because we had to drop their stuff off in our room and then get them back to the science center so they could take a tour of campus and go bowling. Mine was pretty easy to talk to so there weren’t any awkward silences. We talked about campus, friends, majors, and a bunch of other random stuff.
Me and my Rock Baby!
When they were finished bowling, the Rock Babies were returned to us and we were able to do pretty much whatever we wanted as long as we stayed on campus. We decided to play Bingo in the Party Barn (a building where events are held on campus), which was a good decision because my Rock Baby ended up winning a Subway gift card for $10. All throughout Bingo, my friends and our high school students were singing along to the music playing and just messing around. It was tons of fun and I think it gave my student a feel for what it is really like a Rockhurst. After all the gift cards had been given out, we decided to head to McGee (one of the residence halls) to watch a movie. I pulled out my movie collection and everyone agreed on “She’s the Man” staring Amanda Bynes. It is always a good movie and it sparked some good conversation. Plus, I love watching it because I read “Twelfth Night” by William Shakespeare last year in AP Literature, which the movie is based off of.
When it was time to drop the Rock Babies off in the morning, both of us were a little sad because we had fun hanging out together. We got a Rockstar picture together and decided we would keep in contact via Facebook. I secretly hope that she ends up coming to Rockhurst. I think it would be the best place for her aaaaand I would feel sort of cool if I helped convince someone to come here. But, even if she chooses somewhere else, it was a fun weekend and I made a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment