Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving




Mock-ugly sweater
I had been pretty excited for Thanksgiving for the past couple weeks. Finals are just about to begin, so I needed a break. In addition to that, my family is all off work, so I have had the chance to spend more time with them than I generally did during fall break. The ride home was fun because I was with a friend that I had not spoken to a lot since the first couple weeks of school. I had initially been a little disappointed when we began to drift apart, but not that I have had time to chat with him, I see why we did. He is much more into the part scene than I, and that is ok. He is still fun and interesting to talk to. We just may not hang out as often anymore.
Once I got home, all of my time was pretty much spent doing homework, eating, and shopping (and don’t worry. There wasn’t too much homework). Teachers at Rockhurst are pretty good about not assigning a lot of homework over breaks. It is a little difficult for Thanksgiving though because finals are a week away. As for the eating, let’s just say that I have a family full of very talented chefs, so the food was delicious. It was so good that I struggled to refrain from loosening my belt to keep going. I’m sure everyone has those one or two foods that they look forward to around this time of year. For me those items are crescent rolls, leftover turkey sandwiches, and cherry pie. I love the leftover sandwiches so much that I have had three of them in the past 24 hours. I have no shame [:
My bro finishing the cherry pie
Dad's caramel brownies!
If you are about to become a college student in the next year or so I hope you will let me offer this small piece of advice. Make sure you take advantage of your breaks. Universities, including Rockhurst, schedule them very strategically. They place them exactly when they know everyone will need a break or need some family time. You family will be excited to see you so go home and spend time with them. Chances are you will enjoy yourself too. I know I have never appreciated my family so much as I do now that I am in college. I never realized how much I took their presence for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment